Thursday, January 30, 2014

Even chickens like my chicken salad.

I LOVE chicken salad. I could eat it all day, every day. Unless it has relish in it; that's gross.



The hubs and I really like to make a giant crockpot full of shredded chicken at the beginning of the week and use it for various meals all week long. Frequently, this gives me at least one day to enjoy chicken salad. Today was the day; chicken salad day. I had a bunch of stuff taking up room in the fridge, so I tossed it all in and created this awesome dish. If you get a chance to try it out, let me know how you like it!

Ingredients:

4 cups shredded chicken (directions below)
1 roasted poblano pepper, diced (directions below)
1 tomato, diced
1/3 cup diced onion (I like onions)
1/4 cup, or so, mayonnaise
salt and pepper, to taste


Shredded Chicken:
We usually throw about 6-8 boneless chicken breasts in the crockpot and pour water in until the chicken is covered. Next, we throw a ton of seasoning on top. Our current favorite is Scott's Java-Chili Rub. We let it cook on low for about 10 hours. It will pretty much shred itself as you attempt to pull it out of the crockpot.

Roasted poblano:
Truth be told, I have no idea how to work a grill. Truth be told, I couldn't care less how to work a grill. That's why God, in all of his infinite wisdom, created man. The hubs roasts peppers on the grill. I roast them atop my gas stove. Plus, it's winter and down to like 60 degrees in Vegas; I can't be forced to stand outside by a grill in that frigid weather. You poor saps in Jersey want to punch me, yes?
In any event, pop your pepper directly on the stovetop and cook it on high, turning frequently, until completely blackened. Blow out any fires and place your burning buddy into a ziploc baggie until it is cool enough to man handle. You should then be able to pull the pepper skins off with no problems. We made a big batch last week and put them on burgers. The kid really enjoyed watching the stems catch fire while the peppers were cooking. A smart person would have trimmed the stem first. A fun person leaves them on to entertain silly little boys :)



Mix up all of your ingredients in a big bowl, obviously. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment